Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Microsoft Logic: How many Nuts do I have?

Story moved HERE

6 Comments | Post a Comment | SHOW | HIDE
At 5/06/2005 8:20 PM, Blogger APOO said...

Just wondering, why did you say 4? You might have been dinged for the wisecrack! 3 is the common answer, 2 would be the right answer.

If I was the interviewer tho, I would have surely asked you your reasoning for coming up with this answer rather than get up and walk off. Not expected from a person working at MS.

 
At 5/06/2005 10:17 PM, Blogger Trystian Sky said...

Two is the correct answer, but they told me to think outside the box, so I answered 4, being that I am male. Think about it. =)

 
At 5/07/2005 9:27 AM, Blogger APOO said...

Hahaha! I get it! Thats really outta the box!
For me you would be hire!

 
At 5/07/2005 4:53 PM, Blogger Trystian Sky said...

Even though my answer was logically correct (counting anatomy), it was most likely taken as sexist and politically incorrect by the woman asking the question. Hey, if they can't accept alternative thinking, then they shouldn't have asked "How many NUTS do I have". She could have said marbles, rocks, pebbles, coins, bolts........

 
At 5/08/2005 8:32 AM, Blogger APOO said...

What you say might hold true, but I might give Microsoft the benefit of doubt. If hired, you represent Microsoft. When placed in front of a client or say interacting with other teams, if someone unknowingly made a comment like the lady and it generated a wisecrack from you which the person might find offensive, it could be troublesome, not only for you but for the company.

I think they want you to think out of the box only from a techical point of view. :-)

 
At 5/08/2005 11:22 PM, Blogger Trystian Sky said...

I realize that they were only looking for deeper thinking from a technical standpoint, but I am a smartass by nature. If they cannot accept that part of me, then it's good for them to find out about me at the interview, then after hiring me. I've worked for 4 different groups at Microsoft in the past few years, and most were tolerant of my smartassed/sarcastic personality traits. The older I get, the less I care about offending people. Of course running two businesses, I tend to keep certain things out of the clients view. I'm not stupid...well, not THAT stupid. =)